Jacque Anquetil's 1962 Tour de France Winning Bike

Monday, October 17, 2011

About Last Weekend...

Saturday afternoon, I got out for 40 minutes -- just up Tunnel and down through Montclair.  Unsure what to do, I decided to stand up and go hard whenever the road steepened.  That was surprising difficult.  Recovery between these efforts seemed just barely sufficient, probably because I tried to recover on uphills.  All in all, it was a an efficient and productive workout.

On Sunday, Brian and I rode 50 miles, very little of which was flat, as we did over 6,000 feet of climbing.  Perhaps I was still feeling Saturday's ride, but my legs weren't so good and this 50-miler wore me out.  Then we sat at a cafe in Montclair for half an hour, bs-ing.  Good times.

As long as we're on the subject, today, I did a hard 60-minute class.  The last interval I did was a mid-zone 2 cadence builder.  With 15 seconds to go we were to pedal as fast as possible.  My "base" is 26.5 mph in 52x16 gear.  This works out to about 96 rpm.  Ales, the instructor, talked us through "base + 10", which for me means 36 mph in the same gear.  Then, he said, "go to max cadence."  I maxed out at 40.something mph.  I think I lasted at 40 for just a few seconds, but I was at 38+ for good 12-15 seconds.  Now, I wonder what my cadence was at 40.  I glanced in the mirror when I was in high 30s and my legs were moving damned fast.  I hope it was at least 120.

 .

No comments:

Post a Comment